Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

in over my head 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj63069

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2003
US
Let me tell you where I am in over my head.
I was a contented blue collar worker about 10 years ago and the Production manager pulled me off my job one day and told me that he saw something in me that he thought he could build on. He gave me a 2 week project that lasted 8 years. I did not finish high school and am completely self taught in MS Office, Lotus Approach, AS/400, Vax. I had 1 year of mgmt classes and carried a 3.5 GPA. My IQ is 120. I have struggled with many different positions that always lead back to Computers. I do very well with the software and as good as I am at Access I do not know very much about VB. I left the company after doing a 1 year Project Manager slot for a ERP implimentation. Received a bonus for the job and split. I worked for that company for 28 years and accepted a better paying job working out of state with the same software. My job there was to enhance the poor Report system. ODBC,Access and Excel with a heavy use of Monarch.(Self Taught). Always uncomfortable and always under GREAT pressure. I am too old now for the Blue Collar stuff and don't know where to go next. Anybody ever hear a similar tail? How can an uneducated person be in the kind of demand I am and continue to get job offers???? I do not lie on my resume but it doesn't seem to matter. I would really like to consult but do not have the credentials!

To summarize:
You have a long work history, seem to have no problem finding employment, appear to be able to learn new skills when desired. You have jobs in a field where many others are currently unemployed and cannot get a job.

I'm sorry, but is there a problem here?

It sounds like you periodically get in over your head but manage to get your head above water (probably by dint of studying the subject and applying what you've learned!). This is typical in IT. Many of us are constantly uncomfortable (part of intelligence is realizing how much you DON'T know) and under great pressure. It's part of the job.

If you REALLY don't want a job in IT, then get out of IT. I can't believe you're "too old to get a blue collar job". I see plenty of people in their 60s and older working at WalMart, MacDonalds, and Home Depot - doubtless there are more jobs available for elderly workers, but I just haven't noticed them.

If push comes to shove, start your own business and hire yourself! ;^}

Thanks fellers I appreciate the input. It's not that I don't wanna work in this field it's something I would like to expand on. Like the consulting. How do you sell yourself without credentials in that kinda market. I can't make the kinda money I make back in the blue collar sector. I can make a few calls and surround myself with great people that have the paperwork and hire myself. Any start up experience to share?

Getting a job doing consulting is like getting any other job. You have to SELL yourself. People who have proven track records with the ability to adapt to new situations and technologies are what make good consultants. No 2 clients will ever be exactly the same so the ability to adapt to ever changing situations is crucial. The only things I see required as a consultant is to be more of a self starter, communication, and depending on what type of consulting you do or the role of the position the ability to look forward and spot possible situations that may cause problems. Yes I know these are things that we should all do as employees but Depending on your role as a consultant I believe it is more crucial.

People worry to much about the paper and not enough about their skills.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

I hate to put a damper on the consulting gig, however, as a consultant - a true consultant - that has very high wages, without an higher education you cannot really get into it.

Consulting companies hire people for their experience, yes, but they also forward resumes of candidates to potential employers. I cannot imagine an employer who is going to pay someone $80-$100/hr. or even $50/hr. without an education to back it up.

It just is appealing when a candidate from a consulting agency has a Master's or MBA, or at least a Bachelor's degree. I have worked for 2 consulting companies previously, and was offered a job at a third, and I don't believe I would have been hired or even looked at without a degree.

I am not saying not to try, you never know unless you attempt something, however, don't get disappointed if it doesn't work out. Best you could do is talk to a couple of consulting agencies, not any that you plan to work for, but a couple of others and explain your situation and see what they say.

Another thing about consulting, a third company hires a consultant and pays a premium because the consultant generally has many years experience and expert knowledge in the area they are targeting (me for example - 8 years AIX, and about 4 years SP, DB2, WebSphere, Web Servers, MQSeries).

Thanks for the reality check. I kinda figured that was the situation and your comments are very helpful.

As I said though, don't completely give up on the idea if that is what you really want, but talk to a few consulting agencies dealing in the areas you are looking at and who place consultants doing what you do.

You never know unless you try. Good luck!

TJ -

If you have 28 years of experience, I'm guessing you are somewhere in your mid forties. You have plenty of time left to pick a career & go for it!

You mentioned you have some management training and a 3.5 GPA. You write fairly well, you are definitely a self starter, you are intelligent. My recommendation? Get your HS equivalency ASAP, and then start working on an Associates' or Bachelors' degree. Does your current employer offer tuition remibursement? If so - take advantage of it!

I work for a consulting firm. Is a Bachelor's degree vital to being hired by a consulting firm? No - I started here before I had finished mine, and completed it later. But the self satisifaction of having the BS in Computer Science, combined with my 24 years of experience worked wonders for my self-respect, and that of my peers.

Good luck!
J.

Thanks again. The advice is well received!!!
I was approached by a lady this past weekend that accepted an early retirement from the Government and will probably team up with her and several others in a joint venture. Taking advantage of her 25 years as an Inventory control expert setting up programs for the PX. She has set up inventory control programs all over the country, Gremany and Italy. I will stay in the background and create the applications and advising on any MRP issues that may come up.

Good luck. As you've seen IT isn't all about Degree's. People (businesses) like to see experience more then just a piece of paper. You've found a niche and that is great. My biggest advice is to watch that your niche doesn't go away before you diversify. If it looks solid then don't worry about putting in more time to learn something else. Along with you 28 years comes one of your biggest assets. Your experience with real life situations. You've probably seen a lot of successes and failures. That is a valueable asset. It is never to late to change careers.

Again good luck with your endevors

What's stopping you from getting that hs/Assoc/college degree now? Seems like you have the initiative to get things done, you're just missing a couple of easily attainable credentials for a professional career.

Heck, with your qualifications, you could even land a moderate paying University job while you are obtaining your degree.

there are 10 kinds of people in this world.
Those who think in binary, and those who don't

I guess if I am going to be honest about it and sum it all up in a brief statement.
I lack the ability to see what so many other people tell me about my abilities. I don't feel like I'm as good as people perceive me. Therefore,,,, fear of failure!
Besides that for the past 5 years I have been well paid I think. $46k yearly. The money is not that big an issue and changing jobs isn't. FAILURE is the key word I reckon!

Actually, SAcheson, without a degree you cannot teach at a Universtiy. The minimum to teach at a community college is a bachelor's degree but usually they want a master's. And for a 4-year college you cannot teach without a master's and most likely a doctorate.

Not talking about teaching, talking about working. I have a friend who is currently pursuing a BS in ComSci and is making a solid living as network admin of the University library.

But yeah, you can not teach with out a degree - you are correct.

Regarding the fear of failure ... if you were going to fall flat on your face, you would have done so years ago! There are several credible adult-oriented secondary education schools around the nation now - U of Phoenix is one that comes to mind (although probably wouldn't have work opps).

If you take the risk, you'll most likely discover how many others are in your situation.

With your experience, getting at least an Associates would probably go a long way.

Thanks again everybody. Plenty of food for thought!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back