Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In need a Unix or Linux data recovery question answered please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKSinAZ

MIS
Mar 20, 2006
US
A freind of mine lost some data on a hard drive after his computer was vandalized. His Linux or Unix computer does not work. The files had .fst extentions.

Using data recover software, I have been able to retreive files in a WINDOWS XP environment.

My question is if I take out his harddrive and put it into my windows based computer, would I be able to recover his files for him. Is there a specific software that would do this for me FROM a Windows environment?

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Probably not. The filesystems are generally different.
Might help if you knew the flavor of Unix/Linux.

An alternative would be to repair the system with a new drive and mount the old on as an additonal filesystem, or you could do it on a different system.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

What do you mean "Whcih Flavor"? Remember I am new. What are the choices?

after your last answer i would suggest not messing with your friends HD.

find someone that is more familiar with it or if it is critical (which i assume they are dbFast backup files) take it to someone with experience.

not saying you could not do it, just consider what is best for your friend.

the only option is would suggest is using a bootable Knoppix cd for the recovery directly to another cd or spare clean HD.

There are several unix providers and several Linux providers, all with the capability of creating filesystems on a hard drive. Those filesystems are not neccessarily readable by other unix or Linux providers and very unlikely to be identified by any version of DOS or windows.
Attempting ot mount them on a FAT or NTFS system may make them unusable on any system ever again.
The Knoppix would be a good suggestion for someone with a good background with unix filesystems.
If the files are really important your friend might want to consider getting them professionally recoverd. It would be expensive.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back