Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In Focus Projector Dual Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

DShirleySB

Instructor
Dec 8, 2002
US
I use an In Focus projector connected to my PC to teach my computer courses. The OS is Windows XP pro.

Currently I am unplugging the monitor and plugging in the In Focus projector then reversing the process when the lesson is over. (Yes, I know the problems this can/could cause but this is all I have for now.) What I want to do is have a display on my monitor and also projected through the projector.

I recently purchased what I thought was a "splitter" from PC Guys but all that did was expand the display to two monitors and now I am stuck with this item.

Someone at my school seemed to remember that there may be a way to do this without a special splitter using XP Pro.

The In Focus Projector has a "normal" connector to attach to the back of the PC. It also has a USB connector. I tried leaving the monitor connected and plugging in the USB connector from the projector and that did not work.

The actual "splitter" cable from In Focus or other suppliers is kind of pricey and I just spent close to $100 for the other "splitter" that does not do what I thought it would do.

Does XP Pro have the ability to display on a monitor and an In Focus, or other, projector without a special cable?

Please Advise.

Sincerely,

Daniel R. Shirley

Anything here?

Setting up the XP laptops to talk to an external Projector or Monitor

Display Same Desktop on Two Monitors
thread779-629506

306702 - You Cannot View the Same Video on Two Monitors at the Same Time

307873 - HOW TO: Configure and Use Multiple Monitors in Windows XP

283674 - Description of DualView in Windows XP

To add to linney's thoughts above, use Device Manager to identify the OEM manufacturer of your video adapter. Then head to their website and download their newest driver and utility set.

It is likely that the OEM driver/utilities offer exactly what you want.

If I understand your post correctly... you want to display the PC video using the In Focus projector and simultaneously display the same video on a monitor... without switching?

If your PC video card has two video outputs, have the proper drivers, and Windows is properly configured for two displays... then you can connect your PC to the In Focus and a monitor and display the same video on both per linney's post.

If your video card has only one output then you will need a splitter similar to this one:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back