Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

in-addr.arpa not working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauljous

ISP
Nov 2, 1998
US
I updated my reverse DNS on Saturday, 30 October 1998, and as of Today (2 Nov 98) the changes are not able to be seen from the outside world. I can do the reverse lookup fine from the DNS server machine, but if I telnet to another machine, I cannot look up via ip. The TTL and everything was set to one day, so after 3+ days, it should have refreased. Any other ideas?

did you advance the serial number (in the SOA section)when you made your changes?? I OFTEN forget to do that.<br>
<br>
Steve Hanselman

I have advanced the serial number...I am really at a loss. This is confusing.

Have you compared the serial number of your zone file with the Primary DNS server for the class is question? They may have fallen out of sync for whatever reason.<br>
<br>
Also, you didn't change the order of name servers or ip's for this zone just before the problem occured, even in the slightest?<br>
<br>
-Faz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back