Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IMS trys to start and msexcimc.exe takes up too much cpu processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TranquilUncle

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
US
I'm running WinNT4.0 SP6a and Exchange 5.5 SP4. I can't send or receive "extrenal" email. MS Internet Mail Service has apparrently stopped (I've verified this much already). When I try to restart the service it seems to hang on the "starting abc services" message box. Meanwhile, the msexcimc.exe is using up ALL of the cpu processes. I mean between 97 & 99% of the processes. It will not stop unless I "end" the process. When I "end" the msexcimc.exe process IMS stops, hence no access to the outside world. Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

could be a few things, but the first move should be to check your IMCDATA/IN directory for bad/corrupt messages. If you can't find anything specific, delete all the mail files in there and move the queue.dat file out, then try to restart the IMS...

I tried what you said. There was nothing but an archive folder in the IMCDATA/IN directory and I cleared it out. I moved the queue.dat out. Now instead of using 97-99% Cpu processes it uses anywhere between 60-40% Cpu processes. It still "hangs". I doesn't seem to complete the process. More Help.

are you using DNS or Smart Host for delivery? Sometimes, DNS can cause this if the IMS is unable to resolve queries. Other than that, in the interest of saving time, you could always uninstall/reinstall the IMS.

I use DNS. If I uninstall/reinstall the IMS from the CD I'd have to run the SP4 Patch again, right. I'd also have to config IMS again. I'm ready to do this if it will get me back online with the rest of the world.

if you have time, then go ahead and do it. write down any IMS settings if you need to beforehand...

First of all, thank you VERY much for your help. My IMS is working now and I feel great! I stopped all of the exchanges services, replaced msexcimc.exe with one from the SP4 folder (verified I kept the same version) and I ran the Exch SP4 again. Restarted the server and it's ran like champ all night long. Everyone in my organization had email in their inbox from "internal" and "external" sources. Man it feels good when something works the way should. Again, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back