Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IMS not deleting messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2004
US
Another issue with IMS. When IUcheck the message through the email, the light on the phone stays on and voicemail (if deleted in email) is not deleted from the phone. When checking the voicemail from the phone everything works ok. please help. George

what version are you using i`m sure this was a issue with 3.0(59)

this is 3.1(29)

I've got IMS almost working on a 3.0.69 system, windows 2003 server and outlook 2003 clients. VMPro 3.0.19

VM's arrive immediately in outlook, I can toggle the new or saved status of the VM on the phone by changing the read or unread status of the email. But, deleting the email leaves it as an old saved voicemail in the phone.

I've gone over the dcom settings both client and server, and to the best of my knowledge they're all correct. Windows firewall is turned off.

The only other weird thing is I can't get the standard IMS form to come up in outlook and need to just listen to the attached wave file. Not so bad, but I would love to get those deleted voicemails to actually delete.

Anyone have any luck with this?

Peter Sherwood
Morrack Consulting
Affordable World Class Off-site Backup!

Supplemental question: during IMS setup (or later) we can configure the logging levels - does anyone have any clue where the files are that contain this lovely information??

Peter Sherwood
Morrack Consulting

The only other weird thing is I can't get the standard IMS form to come up in outlook and need to just listen to the attached wave file. Not so bad, but I would love to get those deleted voicemails to actually delete.

I had this with 3.1.48 and I solved it by navigating down to the program files\avaya\IP400\IMS (not sure about path) and look for the .exe file. Run it from a cmd window with the /install switch. It reeinstalls the outlook form for you

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Has anyone figured this one out? I have the same problem with IMS. Running a 3.1(56) system with Windows 2003 Server and Outlook 2003. IMS appears to be stable, even more so than before. When a VM message is left, it immediately appears in Outlook, but after reading/deleting the message, it doesn’t change the status of the phone (message light stays on and message stays unread). It’s currently set up to send an embedded wav file rather than attaching it. Windows firewall is off and the dcom settings appear to be correct.

Chris

I have this problem when the "Use Cached Exchange Mode" is checked in Outlook.

Also, I think when you use the logging levels the information is just sent to the Windows Application log.

We don't use cached exchange mode.

Should the logging levels be set to none, right now they are set to All? I'm assuming you're talking about the IMS logging levels in the Control Panel

What is the Operating System and Service Pack of the Clients running IMS? If it is Windows XP Service Pack 2 you must do the DCOMCNFG Setttings on each machine as outlined in the Avaya Technical Support Bulletin 49?

Fonedoc

I know there is an FAQ about IMS Configuration which has good information. Also, I have usually installed all 3 services on the VM Pro server. I know that it talks about having the Database and Gateway service on the same machine as Exchange and then the Voice service on the VM Pro server. I don't have it setup that way, but maybe that is something else to experiment with.

As far as I know the logging levels just give additional information, and the settings just depend on how much information you want.

I'm going to experiment a bit more. I do have (now) all 3 services running off of the VM Pro Server. When I first installed IMS early last year, I did have the services split as you mention, but that caused nothing but problems. With everything on the same server, IMS seems to be more stable. You are correct about the logging levels; it just sets how much information is pushed to the Windows application log.

By the way the client OS is Windows XP Pro SP2. I did run the AvayaFW.bat file and set dcom there. Windows firewall is also off. I’m going to look around some more and see if there is anything missing.

The logging is in the application event log. Look for UM events.

In 3.1.48 you can delete the message in the outlook client but they do not delete in the vm box. Smells buggy to me.

You can load the client form manually if necessary.

Build your policies outlined in the tec tip for 2003 sp1 if you are using server 2003 sp1.

It is best to run all services on the VMPro server. BTW the vmpro must run server and not XP.

Make sure that the user used to install VMPro and IMS has domain admin rights. Same goes for the user IMS.

If you follow the power point presentation from Aug 2005 Warford and Gavin carefully then you will succeed.

One more thing. Be sure to set up WINS on the VMPro server. This will speed up the message delivery and MWI activation and deactivation.

I just had the same problem with IMS. I found that outlook, due to some MS update probably, disables an important IMS application file or form. Go into outlook -> Help -> About -> Disabled items

I have been advised to upgrade IMS/VM Pro to 3.1.18. for this isuue. Were still out on wether or not it helped.

I had a customer with the same issue on 3.1.48. Upgraded everything to 3.1.56 and whatever VM came with it and it fixed itself. Until the users with laptops would leave and open up Outlook when not on the network. That is when Outlook would disable the file mentioned above. Like row1030 said, if you go in to the disabled items you will see extension.dll in there. Enable it back and they will work fine. The laptop users can do this each time or set IMS to prompt them before connecting to the server each time.

Did anyone find a solution on this issue? Did Avaya release the upgraged firmware with the fix or fix for IMS software?

3.1.65 allegedly fixes the final IMS issue (not deleting messages from VMPro server when deleted in Outlook) but I have not been able to verify that yet.

Does anyone else know for sure if 3.1.65 really did fix this? Did it introduce any other problems with IMS?

Peter Sherwood
Morrack Consulting

I have upgraded to 3.1.65 for several of my customers. As of now, none have had issues with IMS. I also used the IMS document provided on this site to ensure I had the proper settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back