Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Improving Performance under WindowsXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pubah

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
BR
Hello.

My Pentium 4 HT, Intel Motherboard, 2GB, NVidia 256MB, 120 GB(C)+150(E) runs Windows Xp Professional good enough to allow me works in 120 pages books with tons of illustrations and photos.

But not as good as the last time.

Im finishing a book with 1200 linked files and many of them are CMYK-300dpi-TIFFS.

Indesign crashs several times and did not run so fast and smooth when I try to create PDF X1-a files.

I did all the things sugested by adobe to improve performance under INdesign CS.

No success.

Indesign is now running with "not so good" display settings but I supose there are more we can do to improve its performance.

Questions:

1. We are can find (InDesign) the same controls I get in Photoshop to manage disk space and memory under Windows XP Professional?

2. Wich options I need to configure in Windows Xp to allow Indesign use the maximum ammount of memmory and resources when Im working with it?

Please, reply to pubah@bol.com.br

Thanks a lot!

...a publication of this length (or more) is typically done using the the book feature from within indesign, chapter to chapter...

...if this is only one 120 page document you refer to then it is looking for trouble on most users machines in this format...

Andrew

Those pics are eating up a lot of memory - and video memory. Let's say each is 3 megs. That times 300 equals 900 megs (about 1/2 your RAM) just for the pics. You're probably best off using optimized view setting, where you just see representations of the pics. Of course, adding about 2 gigs of RAM could help if your machine fits it.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back