Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

improving my Firewall setup. Double firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutech

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2001
US
Currently my firewall setup consists of a cisco router that is managed by the ISP(Nat/firewall/routing). I am thinking about adding a second level and installing a unix box that will takeover the routing and ad a second level firewall and nat.

currently the setup is this.

cisco connected to network 1 that routes traffic to segment 2 of network via a Netware box with 2 nics.

I want to set up a 3 card linux box. card 0 to the cisco box. card 1 to segment 1 and card 2 to segment 2. Then setup nat/firewall between card 0 and card1/2.

Any thoughts?
Michael

Purpose was to have some control over my network's security instead of relying totally on the ISP. I have no access to the cisco router at all. I am relying 100% on the ISP for security from the internet to my network.

Thanks for the response. I didn't know if I was going to get myself into too much with a double firewall.

Michael

thread83-486570
also contains some firewall discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back