Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Improving BO Report frontend performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

binboy77

MIS
Oct 20, 2002
IN
Hi all,
I have a very bulky report that has lots of individual tables, filters and formaules (can't avoid).
When i change the value of even a single cell, it shows the message at the bottom "Computing Data" and then "Computing Display" and this whole process takes upto 5 mins (100% CPU usage) on my P4 2.2Ghz, 1Gig RAM desktop. Very painful indeed to wait for so long for a single change.
I am now trying to improve on this by reducing the formulaes from the report and putting then at the database level. Can't avoid the filters anyway.

My question:
Even if i remove the formulaes from the Report, they still exist inside the report. By selecting from the BO menu, Data -> Variables and then expanding on Formulaes, i can even see the old formulaes that i worked on while developing the report but not using them anywhere in the report. So does the presence of these formulaes effect the performance? Do i need to go and manually delete all there unused formulaes?

Why does BO store all the formulaes and does this effect the report performance and how can i remove them the fast way if needed.
Also why does BO calculate all the report even if i change only the value in a single cell or table or a single variable?

Thanks much

Bin

You need to delete all the extra formulae. There is no automated way to do this. You should have used variables and you would have avoided this problem.

As to the 2 "Why" questions you asked.... There is no answer anyone can give you. It just works that way. If you want to avoid the calculation, you have to work in structure mode.

Steve Krandel
VERITAS Software

Thanks Steve for the valuable tips and the answer to my Q.

Thanks

Bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back