Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impromptu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimick

Technical User
Oct 27, 2005
CA
I just used the forum for my first time yesterday and it was a great help ..I read alot of posts lastnight ..

I am using Cognos to connect to many different types of databases and I am always able to connect somehow ..I hve one database which is a Borland Interbases 1.1.0 which I cannot connect to ..I can connect through Excel using a ZStyle IBOLE connection ..I have checked out Borland's website but was not successful ..

Also ..in Impromptu ..does anyone know if Cognos as the ability to have a prompt where as user can select more then one option ..a list box which a user and select 1 or more choices ..

Thanks very much for the help ..
John

John,
Can you connect from Access to Borland Interbase? If so, you could always try going from Impromptu to Borland via Access. Doubt it'll be very quick, but might be a work-around.
You can do multi-prompts using Ctrl, but I'm not on an Impromptu machine right now. Have you done a search in this forum?

soi la, soi carré

Hi Nimick,

1. I guess you'd be best trying to find an ODBC driver for Interbase. A good place to start looking is probably at If you can't find one there, you will probably find someone who can point you in the right direction.

2. If you're talking about defining filters in an Impromptu report which prompt the user for the choices to filter on, and allow multiple selections from the list, the answer is yes. It's a 2-step process to set this up. First define a prompt (in Prompt Manager) as a Catalog Picklist. Then Define your filter to call your prompt, using an 'in' clause rather than an '=' clause to allow multiple values.

eg. if you had defined a prompt called Fred, you would use it in a filter in this way:

Name in (?Fred?)

Hope that helps,

MF.

Thanks MF for the info ..With the prompt the user will have to hold the CTRL key to select multiple options correct ..there is noway of having a check box ..

Thanks for linking to the webpage ...very helpful ..

John

Hi John,

That's right - in the prompt it's <ctrl> click to select multiple items from the list. I don't think you can change this in Impromptu Client. To get this functionality you'd need to get IWR (Impromptu Web Reports) and write a PowerPrompt application, or upgrade to either ReportNet or Cognos 8, all of which are web-based and allow checkbox prompts.

Probably not what you wanted to hear...

Best regards,

MF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back