Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impromptu / IWR Catalog Prompts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sln007

MIS
Nov 14, 2001
US
I am having problems getting selected items from a catalog-prompt to show up on the Impromptu-Web-Reports report.
The prompt values appear in native IMPROMPTU and saving the .imr report as a .pdf, but.......when the IWR is generated, the catalog-prompt values do not show......
Anyone have the same issue, or, a solution??

when you are running the report as an imr, you may be putting values in the catalog-prompt yourself. WHen you are running thru Powerprompt, these prompt values are not getting updated and hence are not used in the report.

Are you doing GetQuery().SetPromptValue anywhere in the Powerprompt script

Abhi

Shek, We don't use "power prompts".
I've just created a simple "catalog" type prompt, that allows the user to select one-or-many rows of a lookup-table. Once you select one-or-more, the reports supplies the correct results, but we can't get any of the prompt-variables to appear in a "text-box" by inserting "Prompt/Variables" into the report.
We get ":", a colon, then nothing else.
Type-in prompts work fine.

If you have a lookup-table, do you mean a report that you are getting the values from? if so, that has to be shuttled along with the other 'stuff' to IWR in order to see it in prompts with the report. RE-evaluate your file path names to each of the prompt areas you are using, and make sure the catalog "report/general" drop down box is filled out correctly before the imr is saved. I usually solved this type of problem by re-checking all the file-path names or access to data in catalog, being used with the report.
CP
[stpatrick2]
CP

I don't believe this is a "path" issue. The prompt works. The prompt displays just as predicted and designed.
Below is maybe a more clear example of what is happening.
Example:
TBL-A is a lookup table of the United States (ie. column1=OH, column2=OHIO).
The catalog-prompt is created to "USE" column1 and "DISPLAY" column2. So the drop-down list in the catalog-prompt will display "ALABAMA, ALASKA, etc." and the filter will use the 2-char column1. "DB2-ST in (?/cat-prompt/?)" is how I use it in the filter.
This works. The filter is effective and the report will only process those states clicked-on in the drop down prompt area. (For this example lets say I clicked on ALABAMA and ALASKA).
BUT.....i want to add a line like this in the report header area:
"Prompted States Selected :ALABAMA,ALASKA" - that is what I should see(and DO in IMPROMPTU)......but what I get in IWR is:
"Prompted States Selected :"
None of the selected values in the cat-prompt get transferred into the .iwr report.

Ok, I remember this being a problem, and we decided to not put the prompt result in the header. I thought that was a logged 'bug' with Cognos...to be fixed in a later version. I was using IWR 6 at the time. Are you seeing this on Ver. 6? If so, then ask for a new build, or ask if it is fixed in a later build of 6 than the one you have. Let Cognos Support know that you have the "Prompt result is unable to be viewed in Header of report after publishing to IWR"
Good luck,
CP
[auto]
CP

SLN007, I had a similar problem trying to insert the results from a selection prompt into the header of a report I had created.

CognosHelp suggested, within Impromptu, I click the 'Insert' tab, 'more Objects' tab, 'prompt variables' tab.

I know this worked, but I don't remember for sure what followed. I think I simple pasted the prompt into the header area.

Steve

turnerjs,
We have 7.0
The method you described is the correct method and the one we used. This is a know 'bug'.
I just "spoke" with COGNOS and found that this is an issue that has been addressed and "should-be" fixed with 7.1
(The earliest case# I found was started back in release 5.0)
Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back