Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impromptu - How to break up a row and display ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaijak

Technical User
May 26, 2003
CA
Has anyone tried breaking up a row and display it in two rows ? Assume that one has five fields in a single row of data, the display should be like first 3 fields in first row and the next 2 fields in the next line. This pattern should be for all the rows displayed. If anyone can suggest me a solution, I would appreciate.

Thanks

jaijak,

Just do a grouping on the lowest level of detail, then copy all the data columns into that group footer. You can then increase the top-to-bottom height of the footer and rearrange the columns into as many vitual 'rows' as you wish. Then hide the report detail as it is replicating the information in this new group footer. You may have to set the footer length to 'snap to parent' before you hide the detail or else it will appear to vanish.

Hope this helps,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Thanks Dave. It helped. It works.

Dave,
This answer you gave I strongly believe will solve the same issue I just posted up this morning, but I'm afraid I will ask you if you don't mind to give me the steps on doing that....only dealing with cognos for 10+ weeks now..hope this is not too much to ask..Thanks in advance

Thanks,
Tusky
IT/Programmer

Tusky,

You are correct, though I didn't see it at first glance. If you create a union view with a self-reference on the same table, you can create multiple rows in the view for a single row of data. I assume given normal table creation constraints that there are a fixed number of 'other college' columns in the source. If so, try this approach:

CREATE VIEW viewname AS
SELECT APPLICANT, COL1 "COLLEGE", GPA1 "GPA", CREDIT1 "CREDITS" FROM tablename
UNION
SELECT APPLICANT, COL2, GPA2,CREDIT2 FROM tablename
WHERE NOT COL2 IS NULL
UNION
SELECT APPLICANT, COL3, GPA3,CREDIT3 FROM tablename
WHERE NOT COL3 IS NULL;
COMMIT;

This should give you the column-to-row translation you need.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Dave,
This is all I have to say....[2thumbsup]

Thanks,
Tusky
IT/Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back