Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impromptu fails to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

tseeney

Technical User
Mar 31, 2006
US
I am starting to have this issue with a number of machines here in the office - I hope someone can help.

I am an onsite System Admin supporting a few hundred users. The Impromptu users are coming to me saying they cannot open a file, or when they try to start Impromptu, nothing happens. These are Dell GX270 with XP Pro installed, 1Gb RAM, 160 GB HD. I started Task Manager and ran Impromptu again (version 7.0.544) and I noticed in TM the "ImpUser.exe" app starts up then 1 second later disappears - shuts down. Nothing appears in the Event Viewer to indicate there is a problem. I have reinstalled, and the issue returns. I have reimaged machines, and the issue returns.

I have been poring through anything on the 'net that might indicate what the issue is, and I can find nothing so I'm hoping someone here has seen this behaviour before.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Tim

I'd rename the impromptu.ini file and try to restart Impromptu. It sometimes gets corrupted, and doing this generates a clean copy.

Hope this helps,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
Magic with Data [pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

If the top entry in the MRU Files list points to a non existant location, startup will fail.

Just try it yourself, by adding a non exisitng drive on top like:

x:\blabla

Stefan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back