Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impromptu 7.3 Sub Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

a23freak

Programmer
Nov 18, 2002
CA
We have numerous reports residing on a network drive. We have since changed the drive letter from I to G. It seems that the drive letter is captured within the sub report and/or report. Is there a way to get around this? We are trying to centralize our reports so that regional users can access them. Each regional area may have mapped to the server using a different drive letter. I am hoping for something where regardless of the drive letter chosen, that the report and sub report will not be affected.

Have you tried without the letter drive.

Location will be something like \\servername\Reports

Unfortunately they prefer to use drive letters as opposed to unc paths. I was wondering if there is a way to have a variable or path captured when the user opens the main report and this variable/path could be used by the sub report as reference.

Despite the heading of the post, I believe you are referring to issues with drill-thru reports and/or catalog associations stored within reports. Sub-reports are stored entirely within their parent reports.

I've found the inclusion of the drive letter to be a mixed blessing at times. It allows a distributed company to reduce network traffic by having local copies of reports on departmental servers, by mapping a local directory with a replica sub-directory structure to that of the main office with the same drive letter. This way the cental reports can run without modification at the departmental server without being pulled across the router from the central office.

The UNC convention goes the other way, forcing users to pull from a cental server. This can be limiting if the data has to be moved to another box, or if another box is used temporarily because of an outage.

From discussion I had with Nigel Campbell, the original product manager for Impromptu during the time from versions 4 to version 6, I understand a change was made during this time (version 5 I believe) that changed the way Impromptu looks for catalog and drill-thru report references. This was originally done to facilitate publishing reports to IWR, but has other benefits. Impromptu will look for the drill-thru report/catalog as defined in the original report, then look in the local directory (where the original report was launched from), and finally to the report or catalog default as defined in the impromptu.ini file. This information may be useful to you in trying to accomodate the differences between your central drive letter mapping and that of other offices.

Hope this helps.

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
Magic with Data [pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back