Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Impossible query sorting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarla

Programmer
Jan 2, 2001
FI
Hi!
Is it possible to do this kind of query sorting, it sounds very difficult to me but I´m not sure about you professionals :)

We have picture database with info about 210.000 different pictures. We have many different image producers and we try to serve pictures to customers so that every producer´s images will show up on search page about as often as others. Here is an example how it should work:

Producers: Prod1, Prod2, Prod3, Prod4

Customer submit a search with keyword "cat". Result should be sorted that first there are four pictures from Prod1, then four pictures from prod2 etc. After all producers have been there once, then it goes again from Prod1, Prod2 etc. Always four pictures from the same producer.

With that method all producers can have about the same "showtime". Now our system is not so fair because there can be 1000 pictures from Prod1 first and after that 1200 pictures from Prod2. Prod4´s pictures come on the "Page 150" or something...

I hope that my question was written about right. It was hard to find right words to give explanation about my problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back