Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing trial balances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2004
US
Before I begin I'm not an accountant but the IT guy for the company.

Now my question, we just started using peach tree and the accountant wants to import last years ending balance then import each of this years period ends and adjustments to the GL accounts. So what I take he wants to do is import all of the credits and debits per GL account for each period end so that we will be able to pull the finacial statements. Does any one know how to do this? I've tried to import the data into the General journal but with out any luck.

Jeremy

Importing/exporting is supported by PT, but there is a lot to keep track of to do it right and not screw something up. You can start with the help in PT for import/export. There are several pages explaining it. There is an order which things must be done in. I wonder too if you might want to look at the help for "rebuilding a company." In import/export, there are a lot of things you can export, and basically it makes a CSV file. When you import, you need to know what was exported so you can import correctly. If doing the journals, you have to have the COA and vendors and such set up properly to make sure it all matches on the way in.
There are people that consult on this issue.

I've got the format for the file down for importing the general journal, What he wants to do and what I'm looking helo for is start with the beginning balance of period one then import each period afterwards so that he can have a running balance in the chart of accounts. I can import the beginning Chart of accounts but PT support says that after that I have to do the General juronal. Any idea on how to import 10 periods into peach tree with out manually entering the Data. Also the current system we are using does not export data to a CSV file.

Step 1) Get all this data into spreadsheets that the accountant can approve. Then save them as CSV files. NO HEADINGS.

Step 2) Make sure the chart or accounts is 100% right.

Step 3) Sounds like summary data may be ok. Check with the accountant. If all that is wanted is month end totals your job is much easier.

Step 4) Import the chart of accounts.

Step 5) Import the data.

One important point is that the field order has to be exactly right.

Don't wory about vendor or customer lists. They'll be similar problems and handling, but later.

Nobody has ever been willing to pay to bring in detail so never tried that.

Bill Couture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back