Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing Students from CSV file without using Uimport in Novell 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdahoTech

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
Hello all,

This past year at our school district we have implemented Novell 6 and have had no major problems with it. SASIXP our student tracking program yes[evil], Novell 6 nope[wink].

Anyway, when I imported the students into Novell6 I used the old standard of UIMPORT. I have heard that it will work and that it is bad to use....um help??[sadeyes]

Is there a way to import students another way. I am pretty good at figuring out what needs to be done, but this one is a stumper. Uimport is great but will puke out when it looks like there is no error in the data.

What would be better to use, OTHER than a 3rd party software. Any help or pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. We are half way through the year and don't need to do this yet so I have time to work with it for a few months to get it down right.

I have a duall XEON processor system that is say a test system that I can try things out on. Please let me know anyone of any sure ways to do this better. We pull the data from SASIXP in CSV then import. Again help?....

Thanks Guys,

IdahoTech

UIMPORT is not included with NetWare 6, you would need to copy it from your SYS.MIG directory or get it from an older server. I have used UIMPORT to create 5000+ users in a couple of sites with no problem, but there is another way.

The new way in NetWare 6 uses BULKLOAD to import information from an LDIF file

Here is a TID that will help you build your LDIF file.
Brent Schmidt CNE,Network + [atom]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple [rofl]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back