Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing Stock quotes to a Access database

Status
Not open for further replies.

antemos

Technical User
May 14, 2001
US
I need to know if there is way to download stock and mutual fund prices to a access database on a daily basis

Question is not clear / complete.

Of course you can, but the devil is in the details. First, you need a soucre of the quotes. Second you need to set up SOME schedualed task to query the source. Next, there is the knowing / understanding of the location and format of the data retrieved from the source.

After all is known, the actual implementation is probably as simple as a DoCmd.Teansfer(text | spreadsheet | database]. Even in the "worst case", it wouldn't be any more difficult than parseing some file format and adding records to a db/table.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Thanks Mike for your timely reply.
The question is vague.
Basically what I'm asking for is the best source for quotes (if you know of one),are there any that work especially easily with access or doesn't it matter since understanding the data is really what counts.
Tony

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Being a (NOT expert, there are way to many answers.

As far a sources are concerned, Yaho is the only place I know which provides "Bulk" quotes (historical data) for free. Unfortunatly, the only process I am able to accomplish via this is a manual selection. I'm sure it can be automated, but so far, this is acceptable for my dabbling. There are NUMEROUS sites which -for a SMALL fee- you can set up a bewildering variety of optional downloads. IF I were able to get my s........... together and be organized, MY preference would be to have whatever e-mailed on the regular basis (daily, hourly, weekly ... ). The message header would be a STANDARD address and / or subject and the data would be in an attachment. From that vantage point, I could do a bit of programming and place the attachment in a "standard" directory and depending on the formatting details, place the info in any db.

After that, as you note, the important part begins - knowing what the h............. all of it means.

I belong to an "Investment Club" where some of the members use software from "Investware" (Investors Tool Kit). We all got some manuals from the toolkit vendor, which describes ONE perspective, but their approach is to ignore fluctuations and depend on a 'value analysis', expecting that compainies which regularly earn money will also (regularly) increase in value. There must be n * 100 ".coms" with different approaches, and there are at least that many books on investment strategies - each with a "proven" approach and a track record which purports to have made some-one rich. My suspicion is that many of them got rich more from selling the stratgy than from exercising it, but then I am pretty cynical.

Oops - sorry my soapbox license just expired.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Thanks Mike you have been very helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back