Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing records from another database - access 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

traffas

Programmer
Feb 27, 2002
US
First let me thank you for your time, it means alot to me that you are willing to help.

I have a EMS database (Emergency Medical Services) for Patient reports. It also provides several pages of statistics. The program is ready to be implemented. One problem exists........

The computers on which the program (database) will be placed are not connected. At one point, there is 40 miles between computers.... and some computer may be located on ambulances so that Paramedics may write the reports while returning from "road trips".

Can anyone point me in the right direction.... How do I "move" records from one database to another or compile all records into one database? The same database is placed on each computer.

Once again, thank you for your time I thank all of you. What you do for others is very special. What you are is special.

Shawn

To bring all your data together in a 'master' database, the approach I would recommend is one that was used extensively in pre-network days. I can only advise on the process, not the programming:-

Assign each 'satellite' database a unique site id. Include it (without user intervention) in every row of every table.

Backup each 'satellite' database, and bring all backups to the 'master' site.

Compare each backup for a site with its predecessor to identify all new or changed data for that site. Extract this data. Beware of deleted rows, if they can occur.

Apply the new or changed data to the 'master' database.

Maintain a record of the currency of the data from each 'satellite' on the 'master' database.

If you want to update each 'satellite' with data from the others, or if more than one 'satellite' can record data for the same client, this will serve as a basis to control the origin and currency aspects of that data.

Best of luck

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back