Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing Outlook Contacts - Categories Specifically

Status
Not open for further replies.

smajr

Programmer
Aug 25, 2005
US
It doesn't appear that Outlook Categories can be mapped to Act! during the import process. I wanted to map them to the ID/Status list in Act, I could then create custom reports to pull lists based on their ID/Status.

The problem is that during the import mapping process, "Categories" is not even listed as an option to map. I realize that the Categories list in Outlook is user editable, but they use a standard format in the background. I have about 2000 contacts to import. Most of the contacts are assigned to one or more Outlook Categories. How can I get this information into Act!?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
smajr

Hello All,
I would suggest you export Outlook Contact information to a Tab Delimited text file then import it into Excel for data clean up. Once the data has been cleaned up resave as a text file then import it into ACT!

I did a quick little test and category information is exported. So, once you import the cleaned up data you make sure you map the field correctly.

If you want to make sure it really works rename the column header for Categories to ID/Status and ACT! will map it for you.

Hope this helps,
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back