Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing of records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap2010

Programmer
Mar 29, 2000
CA
hi,
Have a record load which I want to enter at a stretch. The entire record is in excel. How do i transfer this record directly to the database of ARS which is in oracle with OS as Sun Solaris.

I want to enter records without going through the interface of ARS?

Thanks,

Captain

Are you looking to simply avoid using the import GUI application or are you looking to avoid ARS altogehter?

My guess is that you're trying to do a recurring load of some data? Best idea is to kick the data out to CSV. Use the Remedy Import GUI app to create an import descriptor, then save it. After it is saved, you can use the command line import tool to use that descriptor file with your CSV file.

If you're trying to go directly to the database, I'd recommend against it. If you do that, you're avoiding the ARS workflow. If you do something in your load that would violate a rule in the workflow, you *will* run into problems in using the data.

Thanks, restricting from going directly to the database. Have just viewed the application of Remedy Import GUI. Will the data saved from Ms Excel as CSV be used for importing the records to remedy as required. Any pre-cautionary steps to be taken before importing the records.

Thanks again,

Cap

For precautionary steps, the main thing I'd check is to make sure that you're putting in something for every required field in the Remedy form that doesn't have a default value. If there is a required field without a default and you don't put in a value, it'll give you errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back