Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

importing Null values while importing data in SQL server

Status
Not open for further replies.

andypower

Programmer
Aug 10, 2004
IN
Hi guies

Thanks in advance....
I'm using MS SQL 7's DTS Import wizard to import the Data from Excel. Now the problem is, there one col in a excel which contains a some numeric data and Alpha numeric data.

now if i imported that excel into the SQL server it is placing NULL values either in place of Numeric Data or Alpha numeric data, even if the Data is present into the Excel
Please Help me out.....

Sort of depends on why the column has some numeric and some alphanumeric.

If the data all represents numbers, but some cells happen to storing strings, then you might transform the data in the spreadsheet into all numeric before doing the import. There may be functions in Excel to convert strings to numbers, or you might simply edit the cells manually.

If the data actually consists of numbers and non-numbers, then you will need to do the import in two stages, one for the numbers and one for the strings. A database column may store only one type of data. You must place the numbers in one column and the strings in a different column.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back