Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing GUI from access to other DBMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfamo

Technical User
Feb 16, 2006
NO
I'm having a couple of colleagues at work coming down to have a look at a database project I've been working on. I have used MS Access to give an easy illustration to what my ideas are all about.

If my colleagues should deside to further develop this database, they will most likely use a DBMS different from Access (ex. Sybase). Since I have very limited knowlege of other DBMS my question is wheter it is easy to import the user interface from access to another DBMS? In that case, which?

The data structure should be easy to import.

Client Server database systems don't have a GUI. The GUI needs to be developed seperatly and connected to the database.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

You can actually do that with any ODBC DBMS (Oracle, Sybase, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, etc).

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

i agree with alve
just import the tables to the Sybase database, and continue using your forms with a connection to the new database (ODBC)

Actually it depends what you want to do. Access depends quite a lot on Visual Basic. It is almost entierely a Visual Basic Front end. In this day and age you may want something more complex that uses JAVA for database server development.

There are a lot of products that can handle this kind of thing. You may want to look at what is available in a front end. The trend is to make everything like a Web Browser and make it possible to deliver it accross the internet with VPN. The key may be how many people will use the product concurrently, and the total number of users. Microsoft Access is not really good at that.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back