Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing favourites into IE7

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliaatpcgp

Technical User
Aug 21, 2006
GB
Before putting into storage (for disposal) my colleague's old computer, I took a copy of his Favourites folder for the new one - this includes both favourite files and folders and IE favourites (IE6). I've done this loads of times before when switching a user to a new PC - but perhaps this is the first time I've done it where the new PC is IE7.

The favourite files and folders are recognised by the new XP computer, but the favourite websites are not seen, even though they are in the same folder.

The only thing I can think of is that IE7 stores its Favourites in a different place - is that correct ? If so, please can you give me the full path so I can put them there.

If not, how do I get IE7 to recognise them without having to reconnect the old PC (thankfully it hasn't been disposed of yet !) and use the export feature of IE6 to change them to a bookmark.htm file for import into IE7. I really don't want to have to do this because I'm extremely busy already and don't need the extra time taken up and the hassle.

I do hope you can help me.

Regards,
Julia

Have you tried File, Import and Export, Next, Import Favorites.......

(If the file menu isn't visible, press the Alt key).

I thought that option only worked on a bookmark.htm file which I don't have because I didn't run Export Favourites on the old PC. I'd never needed to do this before, so I didn't.

I will give it a try.

Regards,
Julia

As I suspected the Import Favourites option ONLY works if you have a bookmark.htm file resulting from an Export on the original PC.

I really don't understand why IE7 is not seeing the favourites I copied from the older PC because I'm sure I've done this before without any problems.

I'm trying to avoid going to the extra time and hassle of plugging the original PC back onto the network and exporting the favourites to get a bookmark.htm file.

Can you help me achieve this ?

Regards,
Julia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back