Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing excel files

Status
Not open for further replies.

tar28un

Technical User
Nov 29, 2005
GB
Hi there,

I am trying to import excel files in access via the following code:
CD.DialogTitle = "Select any one of the NOR files and press OPEN"
CD.ShowOpen
FileName = CD.FileName
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImportDelim, , "tbl_Nursery_Schools+Units_FT", FileName, True

I am running this code to import several excel files. The problem i am getting is that a few of them dont get the coloum name right . Instead of exact coloumn name,it comes as F1,F2.......etc. And also if the first record of any coloumn has no value in it , then it automatically takes them as 'text' type, whereas I want all of them as 'Number' type.

Is there is any way so that I can fix the coloumn name and their type by VB code.

Thanks in Advance

Yes, but ther might be an easier way. If the workbooks always have the same structure you could:[ol][li]Copy a corretly formatted workbook to a static loaction and call it [tt]ExcelData.xls[/tt] or something similar.[/li][li]Create a linked table in your database that points to this file with the correct field names and data types.[/li][li]Create an Append query (Query1) that moves the data from your new linked table into [tt]tbl_Nursery_Schools+Units_FT[/tt].[/li][li]Make the following changes to your code:
Code:
CD.ShowOpen
FileName = CD.FileName
[b]DoCmd.SetWarnings = False
FileCopy FileName, [i]ExcelData.xls[/i]
DoCmd.OpenQuery "[i]Query1[/i]"
DoCmd.SetWarnings = True[/b]
[/li][/ol]

Hope this helps,
CMP

(GMT-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)

Hi there