Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing data that contain NULL values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

barsa

MIS
Dec 20, 1999
US
Here's an example:&nbsp;&nbsp;I try to import data from Excel,(for example), in which there are NULL values in a column that contains numbers and text.&nbsp;&nbsp;The column is formatted as text in Excel, and as I import in the Access wizard, I try to define the same column as text, but it doesn't allow me - it defines the field as a Double integer.<br><br>Are there any special rules for importing data into Access?

I don't know why the Import Wizard is so limited. One way to get around it is to import or link the Excel file as is, then write an append quesry to get the data from that table to another table you have already created with the specs you want.

I find the import wizard is a lot easier to use with an existing table.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you've a small number of columns that's the work around.<br><br>The approach I use when there are a large number of named colums is to use the wizard to build the table.&nbsp;&nbsp;It will of course make many of the columns an inappropriate type and have errors all over the place.&nbsp;&nbsp;I then delete everything in the table, correct the types and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back