Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing data from SQL Server to Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

michellecole

Programmer
Feb 12, 2004
US
Front End: MS Access 2000
Back End: SQL Server

For over two years, one a month we have imported monthly billing data from SQL Server tables into Access tables via many queries which do many things to the data as it is imported - including counting field widths. I only mention this particular process because it is the most time consuming. The import has always taken approx. 20 minutes until this month, it took 100 minutes.

We have been testing, trying to find out what may have been changed to the network or SQL Database that may have contributed to the slowness.

During the testing, we tested on an XP OS and it only took 20 minutes to import. (Unfortunately we can't upgrade all 2000 users to XP right now)

The DB department recently installed a new Service Pack onto SQL Server, I am guessing but I think it was 4.0? They suggested we try installing MDAC_typ28. We installed it on a spare 2000 PC and the import time was reduced to 65 minutes which is still 45 minutes longer than it was before.

Has anyone else had similar issues and if so, what was your solution?

Thank you,
Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back