Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing data from an offline cube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshbird

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
DE
Does anyone happen to know a way to import data from an offline cube? My head office create me .cub files from Analysis Services 2000 but are not set up to provide the data in any other format.

What I'd like to do is to be able to get the data out of this .cub to use in a different format, but at the moment the only way I seem to be able to do this is to export different slices from one of the cube browsing softwares (I@ve been using ProClarity for this at the moment).

I'd really appreciate any ideas anyone might have.

Oh, the database options I have are:
MySql, MS Access 2003, Oracle 10g or DB2 Express.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

The .cub file is like any other database file you can't just convert the data to the format you like, you have to export the data. Depending on the data format you need it can be more or less work. In my experience Excel has been probably the best tool for working with off line cubes. If it is such an issue why not go to your head office and make a request for a csv file or some such thing, and explain to them the overhead you incure while trying to export from cubes. If this doesn't work then make the arguement to you boss and have them push the issue.

Paul
---------------------------------------
Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

I thought as much. I'll love to request the data in another format but the lag for new dev work is currently 3 months and I can't wait that long.

I think what I was really hoping for was a way of exporting all of it rather than just slices at a time.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

That site looks fascinating - but doesn't help me in this current situation.

At present I need to extract data FROM an offline cub into something. Not create an offline cube.

Fee

It is probably possible to wite a small app or script that can execute the slices you need and return the results to a csv or something.

Paul
---------------------------------------
Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back