Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing .csv to existing table in Access Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazzy7

Technical User
Feb 5, 2009
GB
I am creating a database to help my husband at work. I would like to import .csv bank statements into an existing table to enable bank reconciliations through Access.

I have no idea where to start, but would like this to be automatic, such as I can press a button and it just does it (wishful thinking?).

I hope someone out there can help.

Amanda

To start I would suggest that you NOT move the data directly in to existing table. First import to a temp table. Deal with any errors there and then move it to your existing table.
As a start you can go to File>GetExternalData>Import. Use the file open screen to move to the folder, be sure to set the box "Files of Type" to see csv (text) format files. Then follow in wizard.

Hi Mazzy, the code below is PART of the code behind a command button on one of my forms. Whilst it reads the CSV into the controls on a form, the same logic would read the CSV into a recordset.

In this case I know exactly how many lines/rows to read (intPlayersAdded). You would need to incorporate end of file detection.

Hope it is of some help.

----------------
On Error GoTo NOFILEERR
' input from saved file if there is one
Open "C:\Golf1\SS.CSV" For Input As #2
Input #2, dateFixture, strTemp4(2), strTemp4(3), strTemp4(4), strTemp4(5), intPlayersAdded
Me.cboFixtureDate = dateFixture

Me.fldSSCourse = strTemp4(2)
Me.fldSSCompetition = strTemp4(3)
Me.fldSSTrophy = strTemp4(4)
Me.fldSSSponsor = strTemp4(5)
Me!fldPlayers = intPlayersAdded
MSFlexGrid1.Rows = intPlayersAdded + 1
For intCounter = 1 To intPlayersAdded
MSFlexGrid1.Row = intCounter
For intCounter2 = 0 To 10
MSFlexGrid1.Col = intCounter2
Input #2, strData
MSFlexGrid1.Text = strData
Next intCounter2
Next intCounter
Close #2
------------------

I agree with the above comments, but the one thing may you need to consider is the order of the imported files, as the individual records are not usually given a date/time stamp. If you need to reconcile your database make sure you have an ID index which will order the records correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back