Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing contacts to personal address book. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2004
US
Hello just wondering if anyone has ever imported addresses into a personal address book .pab. i tried to import export using csv or .pst however it will not read. I have a ton of addresses in my contacts that i would like to move to personal address book.

Thanks for any help in advance.

This is for Outlook XP.

Dan

Hi,

I have done this in the past and I am sure that there is an easier way to do it, but this is how I went about it:

Create a personal address book in Outlook (blank) and set this as your default address book (the "keep personal addresses in" and "show this address list first" boxes within Address Book Tools / Options). Then export your contacts using the normal Import / Export wizard to a .CSV file.

With the .CSV file saved, open Outlook Express (doesn't matter if you don't use it normally but you may have to create a new identity) then use the Import wizard in OLE to import the CSV file to the Outlook Express address book (File / Import / Other Address Book / Text File (Comma Seperated Values)). Then use Export within OLE to export the address book to the personal address book that you created in Outlook (File / Export / Address Book / Microsoft Exchange Personal Address Book). Now when you look in Outlook you should see all of the addresses in the Personal Address Book.

As I said, it seems there must be an easier way to do it, but that is how I have done it in the past.

Hope this helps.

J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back