Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing Comma Delimited File Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas

Programmer
Sep 20, 1999
US
I receive a comma delimited file form UPS that is used in the billing process. I am having a occasional problem with the import because once in a while the data in the address field is surrounded with double quotes.

example from file -- "259 ""F"" STREET"

When I append using command append from delimited or append from delimited with "," the data is imported into multiple fields 259 in a field, "F" in the next field and Street in a field.

This problem is occasional and I have instructed users to open file first with Excel and to use find and replace to replace data with space, but was wondering if there is an append from command or something I can do to upload without a problem. I have tried all combinations of the append from delimited command and have not had any success.

I feel like there must be something I am missing but can't figure out what is could be.

Would appreciate help on this, there's probably a simple way to do this but I haven't found it.

Thanks

Atlas

Atlas,
Your best bet might be to preprocess the file. See FILETOSTR() and STRTOFILE().

Rick

If you have any lingering issues, this might help:

Transform a Partially Formatted Delimited Text File Into a Standard Delimited File
faq184-4275

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back