Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing BLOBs to FP6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckman101

Programmer
Jun 30, 2003
US
I would like to import BLOBs to FP6 from SQL Sever 2000 via ODBC and have the image displayed. So far all I get is the hexadecimal format. Is there a way or a third party software program to display the image?

What's a BLOB? I have guessed at many things this acronym could stand for but most of them should not appear on a "family forum".

Cheers,
Paul J.

A BLOB stands for Binary Large Object. When mutimedia files get stored in the image data type in SQL Server, they are stored as a long binary string. When imported to FP6 with the number data type they are still binary. Does FP6 have the capabilty of displaying the binary string as the image itself? If not, is there 3rd party plug-in or software compatible with FP6 that will?

Buckman101

For starters, try importing your BLOB into a Container field.
I'll have a word to my son who is a whizz on graphic formats.

Cheers,
Paul J.

Several thoughts..

1. You are trying to move data from a proprioritory field type to another proprioritory field type. Deep down FMP converts all embedded images to PICT formatted images. Who knows what format is used in a BLOB file. My fix would be to script the BLOB image to a file, let's call it import_me.jpg. Then script FMP to insert (not import) import_me.jpg into the Container field in the record. Move to the next record in both databases and reapeat.

2. My second thought is that is generally bad style to embed images into the database. Before you go crazy on me, I realize the need is there, but instead of embedding the image linking to an image is a better approach, the only catch is that you have to make sure that all users have file level access to your 'shared graphics' folder.

thanks,

Joe King

Schlogg-
Thanks for the insight. Appreciate the advice.

Buckman101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back