Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing a word file 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodd

Technical User
May 5, 2005
US
Hello, someone sent me a Word file of a logo that they want me to do some graphics with. When I copy and paste it, it looks terribly pixelated. Does anyone know how I can import this from Word, and retain the quality?

Thanks

import this from Word, and retain the quality

This is a fine example of an oxymoron.

Microsoft Word is not a medium for transferring quality graphics. Ask for the image file before it was placed in Word.

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

Print the document on a good printer. Then scan it back in. That MAY help.

Print it out really oversized and put paper in front and trace the image through. Then colour the image in and re-scan. Finally reduce back to original scale to reduce inaccuracies.
(tee hee hee ;-) )

Trojan.

Save the Word doc as 'web page' - this will generate an html file and a files folder, which will have the original pic inside.

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

If you double-click the image in Word it enters its awful picture-editing mode - you can copy & paste from there. This does not work the same from its 'normal' mode

I also love the oxymoron comment... fantastic! I had to look at a web page to find out what an oxymoron was (duh!) and was very impressed that Microsoft Works was number 1 !

Kind Regards
Duncan

Zodd

You said "a Word file of a logo". I take this to mean they have created a logo using Word's text and limited drawing abilities (even *gasp* WordArt). Is there any sort of graphic file in there as well, such as a photo?

If the former, then don't even bother trying to get the Word doc into Photoshop. Just recreate it from scratch. You could open/place it in Photoshop, lock the layer then create a new layer to trace over the original.

If the latter, then extracting a photo from a Word doc is tricky if you are on a PC, because copy/paste (or even using the 'save as html' method) will only extract SOME of the pixels, with a resultant decrease in quality. The only two methods I have found that work for getting every pixel out of an image embedded in a Word doc and into Photoshop are by using either of the following methods:

(1) copy and paste into Coreldraw (use Paste Special as Picture (metafile)), then export as an uncompressed TIF, or (2) copy and paste as New Image into Microsoft Picture Editor.

More details here:

open the document with the logo in word. Index the image by clicking once on it. boxes will show up on all corners. Under edit copy the image then again under edit click on paste special. click on picture and then OK. this new image will be able to be either copied or dragged into photoshop for work and later inserted back into word.
Bigsunbum

Or you could open the word document, press "PrintScreen" then paste into Photoshop. What you see is what you'll get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back