Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing a tape from another server ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2002
US
Can this be done ?
Lets say I have a server called "Backops". It has a 20 slot auto changer with a couple open slots. Now I get sent a tape from a server called "Downer".

How do I import that single full tape from "Downer" onto "Backops" to be able to restore that data to 3rd server that is unrelated ?

All the data is nothing more than spread sheets, word docs and the like.

Thanks !

you need to run scanner

scanner -i /dev/rmt/0cbn

(I think this is right check the man/info page)

the thing is this will rebuild all the index information (client & Media datase) for this tape. you may need to create client resources for the systems who's data you want to recover so that the server can allow you to browse those indexes.

As john7 suggested, you will need to create the client Downer on your backup server before you can run the scanner command. When you create the client, put *@* in the remote access field.

If you don't have the client index created before running scanner, then the information gathered from scanner will not be saved in any index.

I would also use scanner -iv -c Downer <tape device>

Once you have finished scanning in, then you can perform a directed recover to recover the data to another machine *with the same type of file system as Downer*. To do this, you start nwrecover (or NetWorker User GUI in Windows) and select option... directed recovery. Enter the source client=Downer, then select what you want to recover, etc...

Thanks For all your help guys. I'll give it a shot this morning.

Thanks Again !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back