Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing a lost table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mouk

Programmer
Aug 10, 1999
CA
I have to import a lost table.<br>
I am using Oracle 8.0.5.<br>
I used the import utility to import the table. It said that it imported the table from the system objects into the<br>
username successfully without warnings, but when I check the USER_TABLES, the table that I supposidly imported over, does not show. <br>
This is how I did it:<br>
<br>
c:&gt; imp80 system/manager@rms<br>
EXPDAT.DMP &gt; e:\rms export\rms.dmp<br>
Import entire file &gt; n<br>
Username: Central<br>
Enter table name&lt;T&gt; or partition&lt;T:p&gt; or . if done &gt; mvc_file<br>
<br>
. . importing system objects into Central..<br>
<br>
Import successfully without warnings<br>
<br>
This is how I did it and for some reason the table that was imported does not show.<br>
Can someone tell me why and how can I recover this table. ASAP!!<br>
<br>
Please & thanks<br>
<br>

I think that you will find that you imported the object into the SYSTEM users schema. If you want to import into CENTRAL you need to either run the import under that userid<br>
(imp80 central/password@rms) or use the FROMUSER parameter to specify the user central. You can also add TOUSER but since you are not changing schemas I do not think that this is needed.<br>
<br>
imp80 system/manager@rms file=export.dmp fromuser=central ... (any other parameters)<br>
<br>
You can check this out in the 'Oracle8 Utilities' manual.

As a debugging technique, you could also perform the import with SHOW=Y to see the SQL syntax of what the imp is really doing.<br>
<br>
My guess is that the imp you did didn't import any rows, or you would have gotten the message:<br>
. . importing table "MVC_FILE" n rows imported<br>
<br>
Is it possible that the table didn't exist in the .dmp file?

You may have inavertantly imported to a different owner. log on as system or sys with the schema manager and search all the schemas for the correct table. export that table via the owner and import signed on as the actual owner of the table

You login as System/Manager you can find your imported
table. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back