Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing a FormattedText Report into Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

rleftw

Programmer
Feb 6, 2002
US
I need to import a formatted text report, that is created in a very old Btrieve application, into Access/2000. What they want me to do, is make the existing report available to the users via a SnapViewer. What I am trying to do is get the formatted report into Access and then save it to a .snp file. Currently, you can view the text report file on your PC with no problems and the formatting is ok, but when you print it via Word, or NotePad or anyother text editor, you lose all the formatting of the report. This is why they want it in a Snap file or some other format that retains document formatting.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could do this?

Thanks

This is a request that is difficult to handle inside of access. I believe your "viewer" is currently just displaying an external report file. Similar to viewing a web page in access using an active-X brower object.
I would just post a link to the report file on a form (like a hyperlink, but just use the local address for the report file on your server. Then the user clicks the link and the report opens in its external application with formating intact and the printing should not be effected since you are using the exteral application as your "viewer". The only downside is, that its not a viewer embeded in a form. I think users could live with that.
Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back