Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Importing a excel file into a datawindow taking a lot of RAM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gagar

Technical User
Jun 30, 2005
MX
I trying to import an Excel file that has about 6500 rows and 50 columns into a datawindow, but the process is taking too long, about 5 minutes
when I run the import and I can see in the windows task manager how the process PB11.5 is comsuming a lot of RAM memory at imported the row 450 it takes above 300 MB and increasing.

How can I improve the import process?

io_file_imported = create OleObject

io_file_imported =workBooks.Open(ls_pathFileName)

Inside a Loop
io_file_imported.Application.workbooks(1).woorksheets(1).
Cell(Row, Column).value

PowerBuilder 11.5
Pentium M 1.6Ghz
512 MB Ram

If you export (saveas) the file from Excel in csv format, you can import it directly into the datawindow.

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time"

Thanks Matt, I have yo read the xls as is so I did it with ImpotClipboard, now is working.

io_file_imported.workBooks.Open(is_PathFileName)

io_file_imported.ActiveCell.CurrentRegion.Select()

io_file_imported.Selection.Copy()

ll_rc = dw_detail.ImportClipboard(2)

Gagar, memory is cheap today!

don't want to sound cynical but ... ¿512 mb of RAM? just enough to start windows xp ... and with patience!

regards,
Miguel L.

Thanks for reading Miguel, of course it is no matter of RAM MB it takes but why, whith selection.copy() PB115.exe takes no more than 40 MB compared to more than 300 Mb with Application.workbooks(1).woorksheets(1).Cell(Row, Column).value.

anyway, it is working now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back