Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Imported records not showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cradders

Technical User
Jul 21, 2005
FR
Hi guys,

Here's another curly question for you. I'm importing data from an excel spreadsheet into my database.

I've done this before into the same database and it's worked perfectly. This time, it goes through the whole process, says that it has successfully imported 147 records, but where are they? They're not in there. I've gone to 'Show all records' and the number of records is still 0.

I then tried closing, restarting, importing again, and the same thing happened. I have no records anywhere, in any of the tables - so it's not like they accidentally went into the wrong table.

As I was finally ready to start using the database you guys have helped me build, with our real data imported, this is most frustrating!!

Cradders

I have just realised that it is actually giving me an error message -

The import Records Summary reads:

Total records added / updated: 141
Total records skipped due to errors: 141
Total fields skipped due to errors: 0

So obviously I'm doing something wrong, but I can't for the life of me figure out what.

Please help, this is driving me crazy!!

Hmmm - I can't say I've ever seen this before. I assume there are 147 records in total and not 294?

If there's 294 it could be that you have a duplicated set of records with duplicated unique key fields.

Also, are you sure you matched up all field names and selected the proper import matching? I'm just guessing here.

--------------------------------
Jeff Duck
FileMaker 7 Certified Developer

Hiya,

I guess I'm a complete database eejit - I had a good old look through 'define database' and I had changed the validation rules on some of the fields I was importing into. I took all the validation criteria off and - hey presto - it imported perfectly.

Sheesh! I wish the software came with some blood pressure tablets... !!!

Thanks for all your help, Obi Wan.

:)

What validation did you change? Since it reported both that it imported the records and that it did not import them, I'ld like to look at this further.

Thanks.

Jeff Duck

Um, I'm trying to remember what they all were - I just took any validation criteria off.

Some of them were:

Always Validate, don't allow user to override during data entry,

Validation by: not empty, member of value list (drop-down list containing criteria that matched the rows in excel I was importing from) - so thinking logically, that ought to let me import stuff into those fields, as long as it met those criteria, which they all did... so I don't know why it had a problem.

All I know is that when I took all those constraints off, it worked fine and my blood pressure returned to normal...

:)

If the valuelist is tied to data being imported, then the valuelist isn't built until the importing is complete, thus the criteria wouldn't be met and the import would fail.

Jeff Duck

Also, make sure you're on a layout linked to the table where you want to import...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back