Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

import wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNorris2000

Technical User
Nov 10, 2000
US
The import wizard allows you to change column headings field length etc,.. Is there any way to save those setting for future imports? or somehow view the code neccessary to acccomplish the same thing in a program? I would rather not use the wizard.

Dan,
All the source code for the Import Wizard is supplied in the file XSOURCE.ZIP. It's in the directory: "C:\Program Files\microsoft visual foxpro 8\Tools\xsource\"

Rick

Are you tring to set up the import for a file that doesn't change structure over time? If so, please share the file type with us and we'll show you how to do it with code.

Basic sample for fixed width text:

create table tablename (field1 c(10),field2 n(8,2))
append from mydata.txt type sdf

Brian

I am importing a lotus spreadsheet 2.x wk1 the file will be the same the import path will be the only variable

I've never imported from a lotus file, does the data come in clean, or does it need to be cleaned-up like Excel files do?

You should be able to setup import and clean-up routines into a template table from a prg where you just select the file with getfile().

If you have the time, you can e-mail me a sample with desired result and I'll play around with it tonight.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back