Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import? vg00

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpnovice2004

Technical User
Oct 5, 2004
US
Let me first say that I am not a unix person. I'm more into PCs. But recently, I've been playing more and more with unix(HP). I made an image of the boot drive just to see if I can mount it on the same system, and so far, I haven't been successful. My boot drive is scsi.6.0 and the other drive is scsi.5.0. My workstation is 715/100. I know with PCs, all I have to do is to plug the image drive to an available ID slot and it would recognize it and I would be able to read/write to it. I tried reading scsi.5 with SAM but it states that the drive is unused. When I try to get some further details about the drive, no additional info is returned since it's unused. My first question is.
- How do I mount this image drive or access information from it?
- Secondly, is there a command view partition/filesystem info of a foreign drive?

Thank you in advance for your support.

2 things:

1. yes, you need to inform to HP-UX about the "Volume Group" configured in the disk.

man vgimport

you should do:

# mkdir /dev/vgtemp
# mknod /dev/vgtemp/group c 64 0xHH0000 (HH = minor number)
# vgimport /dev/vgtemp /dev/dsk/cXt5d0

# vgdisplay -v vgtest

# mount /dev/vgtest/lvolx /mnt

2. HP boxes has configured *which* disk drive it must use to boot.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back