Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import userdata info to SK98 on Windows8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

J0nyBoy

Instructor
Jan 10, 2014
US
Hi there folks,

I recently was helping a friend in transferring data from a Sidekick 98 program running on a Vista computer and backing up the data so it could be used on a Windows 8.1 computer. I tried using the backup tool and choosing a flash drive as the directory where it would be backed up. After this it said there was not enough space, even though the program files are about 3MB in total, and the flash drive is 8GB. This situation kept happening so I decided to make a copy of all the Program Files manually on the flash drive and later copy them in the Program Files when I successfully installed it in the Windows8.1 computer. I was able to install Sidekick 98 successfully on the new computer, but after copying the program files on the new computer it cannot read them when I start Sidekick 98. I thought it would work, so after seeing it did not want to budge I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it. This time I just replaced the user data folder and it still didn't work. I tried the Open functions from the file menu and it comes up with an error message that it can't find a cert in tie type. Can anyone help out and let me know how to make this transfer work? This is really important as they have information from man clients that my friends boss is transferring to him to continue the businesses!

Sorry to see you have no response but it is a bit baffling. It reads like you just transferred Sidekick98 by copying it from Vista. This does not work as you need a proper exe download but it also reads that your SK98 works in Windows8 except for transferred userdata. So I will assume you have a fully working SK98 where you can start from square one but cannot access old data separately transferred.

I am sure I don´t need to tell you that your friend should stay with what works until Windows8 is clearly functioning.

If you were going from SK98 to another PIM, this result on data transfer would be typical but SK98 to SK98 userdata should be ok.

Is it possible that the method of transfer corrupts the file? Strange things happen with formatting and attributes. If so, you can play around with other methods of transfer. CDs, DVDs, Sidekick back-up and restore are not for me. I suggest on Vista creating a new blank card and copying that as it is ´clean´ (but I have had no trouble with several SKCards having a variety of fields).

One thing to check in the Control Panel is that your file extensions are Sidekick for .skcard (also skwrite, skcontent and so on). If not change it. This will enable you to click on a SKCard file in any editor and it will then open in SK98. Incidentally, if there is no skcard listed, your installation is the fault.

Alternative 1
Skwuser introduced me to Logmein which enables you to run Windows8 on one computer and access from this computer,Vista programs on another computer. It has Copy and Paste which might be useful and you have both old and new on one computer.

Alternative 2
I said enough last year about using Dropbox but you can put this new blank SKCard on Dropbox and then see if you can open it directly on Window8 Dropbox as you have a working SK98 in Window8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back