Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import tilde (~) .txt file into Access Using Import Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

EKaufmann

Technical User
Sep 18, 2012
I am trying to import a text file into Access and the only delimiter is the ~ symbol. I am using version 2010. In the wizard I can put the ~ in for a text separator but not for a field separator. I know that I have done this in the past because I ave received the same file format from the same source and managed to get it imported but now I can't seem to get it to work. Anyone know how to do this? I really don't want to have to open the file in Excel or do any other type of pre-processing because I am writing the application for someone else and don't want to complicate it.

Elaine
PDC/AREA

Duane,

The Wizard screen gives me 3 variables to set

First Row Contains Field Names (Y/N)
Choose the delimiter that separates your fields:
Tab/Semicolon/Comma/Space/Other
Text Qualifier ("/'/{none})

The "Other" option under fields appears to allow a person to enter a symbol here but won't let me enter the ~ character.

Elaine
PDC/AREA

I'm surprised you can't enter a ~. You could try any character and the save the specifications without using them. You should be able to create a query from the system table and see if you can change the character to the ~.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back