Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import table format not expected? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aronw

Programmer
Nov 26, 2002
GB
I have a database which I have created by importing Excel sheets. However some of the sheets do not import. When trying the message given is, "import table not in expected format". This excel sheet is exactly the same as the others that have been imported successfully, just different data (all the same field names etc.)

Does anyone have any idea?

Help would border on magnificent,

TIA

Aron

Hi Aron,

If you are using the data import wizard, then try re-ordering COMPLETE rows in Excel so that a different row is top of the sheet.

Access assumes data-types for each field from the first row in the spreadsheet. (i.e. if you have 123 in a cell in the sheet which is really a text field in the database, then errors occur).

Regards,

Darrylle "Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience."

Thanks Darrylles,

I have tried sorting the data differently in Excel but no change. I did not mention that I am importing all these sheets and adding them to the same table. My first row matchs field names etc.

Still probs. tho

I have had similar thing with an import from Excel and it was due to a space character at the start of one of the cells in row 1.

Access doesn't like a space in that position.

Hope this helps.

HJG

In Excel row 1 contains things like 'Company Name' 'Post Codes'. I have imported a number of sheets in this same format without a hitch.

Thanks, Hjgoldstein and Darrylles.

Problem Remains...

Aron (Novice)

Hi aron,

There WILL be a pattern.

Are these sheets from different XL versions perhaps? If you say 'NO' to this - are you absolutely sure?

If not, can you give me the Error number for the error: "import table not in expected format"?

Sorry - for not giving an instant solution, sometimes takes time.

Regards,

Darrylle

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back