Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

import spreadsheet problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tizwaz

Technical User
Aug 8, 2002
GB
I'm trying to import a spreadsheet into my table. One of the fields contains a code which is either a number or a number and letter - eg 9, 9a etc. I have set the field to text in my table but when I import my spreadsheet it doesn't import any of the records with a letter in it. I've tried importing to an existing table and to a new table but it won't work. Any ideas?

add a bogus record to the beginning of the spreadsheet with just a letter in the field in question. then it should create it as a text field. Then, remove the bogus record. I had this problem several years ago an i think this is how I solved it.

How about opening it in Excel and then saving it as a tab delimited text file (Save As on the File menu). Then import the text file into Access.

I'm having a similar problem with an Excel 2000 cell that contains lengthy text data. It should import into a memo datatype field but access will not allow be to adjust the datatype for that column when importing.

Is there any way to adjust the datatype (other than the dummy record)?

I will try the text file import instead but would prefer a way to change the datatype during the import.

Thanks.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back