Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

missymarie1014

Technical User
Mar 15, 2007
US
This is Access 2000. Is it possible to import data into an existing table for the purpose of updating existing fields with revised information? For example, edits to item descriptions, quantity on hands from a year end inventory count. Rather than changing the items manually, I want to import the data, preserve the existing data and only have the data in some specific fields be modified. What is the best approach to this? Thanks for any assistance!

I would assume an update query. But what format/source is the new data?

You should be able to link to your excel spreadsheet as an external table and then do a simple update query. You would have to provide more specifics on your table desingns to get a more detailed answer
here is a simple example where I have a personnel table and a linked spread sheet. I am updating everyones date of birth from the spreadsheet
Code:
UPDATE tblPersonnel INNER JOIN ssPersonnel ON tblPersonnel.autoPersonnelID = ssPersonnel.autoPersonnelID SET tblPersonnel.dateDOB = [ssPersonnel].[dateDOB];

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back