Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import/Link Oracle Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

cst172

MIS
Jul 15, 2002
US
I have a PostgreSQL database that needs to get data from an Oracle database on a daily basis. Is there a way to import the data directly from Oracle into PostgreSQL? Is there a way to link to an Oracle table from within PostgreSQL? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

I don't know about the direct links, but that sounds like the perfect place to cron up a perl, python or php script.

-Rob

cst172, I was just wondering what approach you took to 'refreshing' data in postgre from oracle. Our presentation db is currently in oracle and relies on the 'snapshot' or 'materialized view' functionality - I'm trying to figure out what we would do if our presentation layer was postgre. Right now I'm thinking we may have to do some perl process that exports from our oracle staging db into txt files and then copies into 'temporary' postgre tables and then inserts, updates and deletes from the tables where we need the data.

Do you have any words of wisdom?

Hi prairiedog99,

If the Oracle db and postgre db had the same table structure, and maybe even if they didn't, could you copy the Oracle data to a CVS comma delinited file and then copy the comma delimited file into postgres.

You might be able to automated all this using perl, html, and a web server, or you could probably do the smae using a perl script run daily via cron, etc.

Regards,

LelandJ

Leland F. Jackson, CPA
Software - Master (TM)
Nothing Runs Like the Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back