Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import HTML files to Drupal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebstarasia

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2011
US
I have Drupal 7 and I am trying to upload existing html files so that it posts in the same window as the site whenever you select one of the menu options. I don't know how to get this idea to work. any suggestions?

Can you be more descriptive?

Generally, you can go to [yoursite.com]/admin/build/menu-customize/primary-links/add to add a new menu item and point it to the HTML page.

What I am trying to do is create a website internally for the employees of a company so that they are able to view reports (created in Crystal reports and Excel) that have been saved as HTM files. Currently, they have a intranet site built from Word that hyperlinks to each file.

About half the HTM files are updated manually while Crystal deliveries updates the rest. The files are saved onto the company's main network computer "//Star03"

Right now, I have the drupal software installed on my computer to run tests. However, I am unable to display/link the HTML files created again in Crystal Reports and Excel to drupal.

This site isn't going to be published, only meant for the employees here.

Well, even though they are exported as HTML files, you may want to look at handling them as "media objects". The media module, in Drupal 7, gives a lot of control over all of objects of any sort - pictures, documents, etc... or supposedly. I've not had time yet to delve much into using it.

Another option would be to use one of the various modules that would open the html documents in an iFrame, so they are able to be opened, and then you'd close out of the iFrame to be back to where you were.

Another option would be to create a custom content type. In that type, you'd include the name/title of the html report, and you'd have another field to contain the link to the actual html file. Then set up a view that lists out all the published content of that type, and have a default sort and/or allow them to custom sort/filter. Of course, you could have other fields, such as a date when added, who added, etc, but I'm just thinking simplistic on this one.

where should the HTML files be located/stored.

The company has a network with separate user/computers but each can access //Company on the network, which every computer can access. Its where we keep most of the files that need to be shared and accessed for all the employees.

Should i put the HTML files in one of the subfolders in drupal? if so where?

If you want to look at using the Media module like I mentioned, try looking it up, it tells you all the necessities, such as where to put stuff, how to configure the module and drupal, etc.

I don't remember where the folder is off-hand, but if it is a static location, then they'll tell you where that is.

Here's a link:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back