Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

import from qmail server to exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerdurden68

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2003
US
I have a new Exchange 2003 server and want to import the users emails/folders (mbox) from a freebsd server running qmail. Does anyone know how this can be done? Do I need third party software to do it, and if so, what ones? Thanks in advance.

Typically what I've done in that situation is to download all the user's mail to a .pst file through outlook. Once the download is done connect outlook to exchange. Import the mail to Exchange from the .pst file.

I know it's a bit tedious, but if you only have 10-20 users its no problem.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

I have around 70 users, so going desktop to desktop would be too time consuming

also, i wanted to migrate the folders along with the emails so their organiztion of their emails is preserved.

What email application are you using right now? Are you using SMTP or IMAP with your Qmail server?

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

You should be able to do this fairly trivially with a perl script, using Mail::IMAPClient.

I use a tool for spam filter training, grabbing messages from an exchange public folder via IMAP, parsing them, and then delecting them. Given that the script opens an Exhcnage folder, reads, and writes (i.e. deletes) it should be a good starting point for you. You can find it at
The site doesn't seem to be responding right now, so use google's cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back