Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Import from Database disabled in Source Analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam93

Programmer
Jul 19, 2002
CA
Hi,

I have a shared folder. When I want to create a source in it, the Import from Database and Import from File options are disabled. These options are enabled in non-shared folders. Is there a restriction on shared folders in terms of importing source and targets?

Thanks.

Check setting of properties of the shared folder in repository manager. Be aware that using shared folders may have drawbacks in migrating objects..

Ties Blom

Thanks. I tried to check the privileges in the repository manager but I don't have privileges to edit the folder. Can you point out any significant drawbacks in terms of migration?

General experience is that this is not a very robust concept when trying to copy/move objects.
Shortcuts may end up pointing to the wrong folder, gremlins with the wizards. Personally I have always shied away from shortcutting objects. This means more overhead (checking which folders to update when for instance sources change), but you avoid possible bugs.

Ties Blom

And if you don't use versioning, you'll be required to update the entire folder when distributing mods to another repository. We tried it once, but it was more trouble than it was worth.

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus!" - Firesign Theatre [jester]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back