Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

import exported .dmp file

Status
Not open for further replies.

impulse24

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2001
US
Hi,

I received an Oracle 7.0 exported .dmp file from a customer. The customer does not know the user, or schema info for the .dmp file.

How do I go about importing the file into my oracle 10g server. I have tried using the imp command with various switches, all which appear to start running but error with invalid user, and table doesnt exist messages.

Is there a way to force the imp to bring in the database, create the schema and tables, if they dont exist?
I have also tried a tool called NXTract but it only processes 5,000 records, and it looks like it gets the data incorrectly for some of the tables.

Any help would be appreciated.

Can you use the system user and SHOW=Y to see what SQL is contained within the dump ?

Alex

have you resolve this issue, i' experiencing a simmilar issue with an export dmp from 8.17 from before I joined this company.

Therefore if I have more that one database on this server and my research is correct then the command I should run should look like this.

imp file=<dump file name> full=y show=y userid=<DBA user>/<password>.<dbname>

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Today is a good day..

Sorry I typed it in wrong, it should look like this?

imp file=<dump file name> full=y show=y userid=<DBA user>/<password>@<dbname>

I do not think that Oracle10g will recognize an Oracle7 file so you may have to do this in stages. First, import the file into an Oracle8i database (preferrably 8.1.7.2 or higher) then into Oracle10g (Release 1). If this is a Oracle10g Release 2 then I believe the lowest version it will accept is Oracle9i.

Regards,

William Chadbourne
Oracle DBA

oradba101, is 10g release 2 out yet? I haven't heard anything except that the target release date was supposed to be sometime this summer.

Oops, you're right. My mistake.

Regards,

William Chadbourne
Oracle DBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back